Monday, March 16, 2009

Crazy Commentators

Back in the days of "Baby David Mania", when United's star man was David Beckham, the commentators used to drive me insane. The man could do no wrong - regardless of whether the statements made by TV commentators were true or not, people would utter these references as if they were the commandments laid down by God.

In his absence, I've noticed that the utter nonsense that some commentators spout still goes on - especially when it comes to Manchester United. I've heard a few gems in my time, but I will never forget this beautiful, beautiful comment:
"Edwin van der Sar is the best attacking talent in Holland."
I'm not going to go into that too much, but most sane people will agree with me that the manc goal keeper is certainly not the best attacking Dutch talent at all. I don't even have to explain myself, and won't. However, a few other comments riled me - less so the "Michael Carrick is the best defensive midfielder in the world" comment, because that can, I suppose, be relative - I still firmly believe that he is far behind both Xabi Alonso and Javier Mascherano in that position, not forgetting to mention Michael Essien. A few other names spring to mind, but I'll leave it at that.

The thing that annoys me the most, however, is their complete lack of sense. It's been said numerous times that Christiano Ronaldo doesn't feature in big matches, he can't handle the pressure and is unable to shine. Let me put it straight - the only thing Christiano Ronaldo did against Liverpool was score a penalty. That's it. When the commentator says something like "They say Ronaldo disappears in big games, but not this one" when mentioning the penalty, the commentator in question is an idiot.

Scoring a penalty is in no-way standing up to the big occasion and putting in a shining performance. Not even scoring a free kick is. The fact is, Ronaldo was unable to get past Aurelio, Carragher, and even Riera. He didn't shine at all, and he was bottled and useless for large parts of the game, leaving all the offensive work to the world's best defensive midfielder.

I often wonder if the commentator is watching the same game as I am - Saturday's one certainly wasn't. It's a shame - he missed a great game.

No comments: