Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Physical effects manifesting in dreams

I had a most terrible nightmare last night, and it got me thinking about how dreams have physical effects on our bodies, or vice versa. To start with, here is the dream:

I was in a gym, working out. I was terribly, terrible thirsty throughout. When I finished working out, I went over to the water fountain and drank as much as I could of the cold, delicious water. I then made my way out of the gym into the mall section of the building (naturally) to a restaurant and ordered a coke and a bottle of water, both of which I drank. I was still terribly, terribly thirsty. I then met up with some friends who wanted to go and get some food at another restaurant. I followed, and ordered a bottle of water and an orange juice from this restaurant too, and all the while (after drinking the drinks as well) I was parched, thirstier than I'd ever been in my life.

When I woke up, I was, you guessed it, incredibly thirsty. That's nothing new or exciting really, it's often that physical things happening to your sleeping body manifest themselves in your dreams. One thing I wondered, though, was how something like death would affect our dreams, if we were, for instance, dying in our sleep.

I'd be interested to find out if someone who is dying in their sleep still dreams. What would the dream be like? Would it be a light at the end of the tunnel kind of dream? Would it be the kind of dream where you're battling demons and one swipes his great big clawed fist at your head and actually connects, and you die both physically and in your dream? Or would there be some kind of dreamly visitation by your chosen religious angel of death? Interesting. I smell a story coming here.

No comments: